Jul 31, 2020
Age & Residence Requirements
About the Service
The Service allows:
- Rental and purchase of textbooks and pay online;
- Extend or purchase a rental;
- Easy return policy and drop off locations with Jamaica Post. Return is free!
- Receive study support from tutors who are experts or trained teachers in select
subject areas at a reasonable cost.
- Improve your digital literacy with short videos (1-5 minutes).
Your permission to use the Site is conditioned upon the following use, posting and conduct restrictions:
You agree that you will not under any circumstances:
- Access the Service for any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as permitted by the normal functionality of the Service,
collect or harvest any personal data of any user of the Site or the Service.
- Use the Site or the Service for the solicitation of business in the course of trade or in connection with a commercial enterprise;
- Distribute any part or parts of the Site or the Service without our explicit written permission (we grant the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of creating publicly-available searchable indices but retain the right to revoke this permission at any time on a general or specific basis);
- Use the Service for any unlawful purpose or for the promotion of illegal activities;
- Attempt to, or harass, abuse or harm another person or group;
- Use another user’s account without permission;
- Intentionally allow another user to access your account;
- Provide false or inaccurate information when registering an account;
- Interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper functioning of the Service;
- Make any automated use of the Site, the Service or the related systems, or take any action that we deem to impose or to potentially impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our servers or network infrastructure;
- Bypass any robot exclusion headers or other measures we take to restrict access to the Service, or use any software, technology, or device to scrape, spider, or crawl the Service or harvest or manipulate data;
- Circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with any security-related features of the Service or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of content, or enforce limitations on use of the Service or the content accessible via the Service; or publish or link to malicious content of any sort, including that intended to damage or disrupt another user’s browser or computer.
Posting and Conduct Restrictions
You are solely responsible for the User Content that you post, upload, link to or otherwise make available via the Service.
You agree that we are only acting as a passive conduit for your online distribution and publication of your User Content. The Company, however, reserves the right to remove any User Content from the Service at its sole discretion.
We grant you permission to use and access the Service, subject to the following express conditions surrounding User Content. You agree that failure to adhere to any of these conditions constitutes a material breach of these Terms.
By transmitting and submitting any User Content while using the Service, you agree as follows:
- You are solely responsible for your account and the activity that occurs while signed in to or while using your account;
- You will not post information that is malicious, libellous, false or inaccurate; · You will not post any information that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory, libelous, or racially, sexually, religiously, or otherwise objectionable and offensive;
- You will not submit content that is copyrighted or subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy, publicity, trade secret, or others, unless you are the owner of such rights or have the appropriate permission from their rightful owner to specifically submit such content; and
- You hereby agree that we have the right to determine whether your User Content submissions are appropriate and comply with these Terms of Service, remove any and/or all of your submissions, and terminate your account with or without prior notice.
- You understand and agree that any liability, loss or damage that occurs as a result of the use of any User Content that you make available or access through your use of the Service is solely your responsibility. The Site is not responsible for any public display or misuse of your User Content.
- The Site does not, and cannot, pre-screen or monitor all User Content. However, at our discretion, we, or technology we employ, may monitor and/or record your interactions with the Service or with other Users.
Online Content Disclaimer
Opinions, advice, statements, offers, or other information or content made available through the Service, but not directly by the Site, are those of their respective authors, and should not necessarily be relied upon. Such authors are solely responsible for such content.
We do not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information on the Site or the Service nor do we adopt nor endorse, nor are we responsible for, the accuracy or reliability of any opinion, advice, or statement made by other parties. We take no responsibility and assume no liability for any User Content that you or any other user or third party posts or sends via the Service. Under no circumstances will we be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from anyone’s reliance on information or other content posted on the Service, or transmitted to users.
Social Distribution and Widgets
We may allow you but only through express written permission to engage in certain personal uses of Peruse Content that include the ability to share certain Peruse Content with others (“Social Distribution”). For example, the Services may allow you to send certain Peruse Content to friends, display Peruse Content on your personal web site or post Peruse Content on a third-party web site. You agree that you will not imply that you and Peruse are affiliated in any way or that Peruse approves of your comments. We reserve the right to revoke our permission for Social Distribution at any time and for any reason, and you agree to immediately cease Social Distribution upon notice of revocation and to comply with any terms we post in connection with the Social Distribution of Peruse Content.
Similarly, the Services may provide content that you may choose to embed on your personal web page, third-party web site or social networking site by pasting the HTML or other code provided by us (typically labeled as an embed code) (“Widgets”). Widgets are Peruse Content and subject to the limited, revocable license described above. We may discontinue providing the services necessary for the Widgets to operate or we may disable Widgets you have embedded at any time for any reason without any liability to you. You agree that our permission to you to use Widgets does not provide you (or any third-party) with any intellectual property rights in or to the Widget or any Peruse Content made available via any Widget.
Notice to Third-Party Sites
Any Peruse Content made available in connection with your site, or otherwise, by our Widgets, third-party widgets or otherwise, is our exclusive property and no grant of any intellectual property rights is made by us. We retain the right to demand that you cease any use of our Content upon notice.
Links to Other Sites And/Or Materials
Copyrights Complaints and Copyrights Agents
(a)We respect the intellectual property rights of others and requires that the users do the same. In accordance with the Copyright Act of Jamaica, amended in 2015, we have adopted and implemented a policy that provides for the termination in appropriate circumstances of users of the Service who are repeat infringers. We may terminate access for participants or users who are found repeatedly to provide or post protected third party content without necessary rights and permissions.
(b) If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe, in good faith, that any materials provided on the Service infringe upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant by sending the following information in writing to our designated copyright agent at PO Box 20, Gregory Park P.O, St. Catherine, Jamaica:
- The date of your notification;
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- A description of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- A description of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and information sufficient to enable us to locate such work;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and/or email address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
(c) Counter-Notices. If you believe that your User Content that has been removed from the Site is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner’s agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and use the content in your User Content, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to our copyright agent using the contact information set forth above:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- A description of the content that has been removed and the location at which the content appeared before it was removed;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the content was removed as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content; and
- Your name, address, telephone number, and email address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Jamaica and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
If a counter-notice is received by our copyright agent, we may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing such person that it may reinstate the removed content in ten (10) business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the content provider, member or user, the removed content may (in our sole discretion) be reinstated on the Site in ten (10) to fourteen (14) business days or more after receipt of the counter-notice.
By posting any User Content via the Service, you expressly grant, and you represent and warrant that you have a right to grant, to the Company a royalty-free, sub-licensable, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, list information regarding, edit, translate, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, and make derivative works of all such User Content and your name, voice, and/or likeness as contained in your User Content, if applicable, in whole or in part, and in any form, media or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed, for use in connection with the Service.
Email May Not Be Used to Provide Notice
Communications made through the Service’s email and messaging system will not constitute legal notice to the Site, the Service, or any of its officers, employees, agents or representatives in any situation where legal notice is required by contract or any law or regulation.
User Concent to Recieve Communications in Electronic Form
We may also use your email address to send you other messages, including information about the Site or the Service and special offers. You may opt out of such email by changing your account settings, using the “Unsubscribe” link in the message, or by sending an email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the following postal address:
Customer Support PO Box 20, Gregory Park P.O, St. Catherine. Opting out may prevent you from receiving messages regarding the Site, the Service or special offers.
Payments and Payment Processing
Validation: Peruse may require users of the Services to provide a valid method of payment (e.g., credit or debit card, PayPal account, etc.) tied to an account at a financial institution when they register for an account (to ensure users are able to make applicable payments to us) or upon ordering products or services. If a method of payment is required, you are responsible for ensuring that a valid method of payment is associated with your account at all times (either the original method of payment or a replacement). To confirm your method of payment is valid, we may initiate a “pending” charge on the account. This charge will not be confirmed and, therefore, you will not be charged and it will simply disappear from your financial statement (usually within seven days – check with your financial institution for additional information). Please be aware that this pending charge may be initiated each time you edit the payment information for your account or place an order that cannot be processed.
Authorization Holds: For certain transactions (e.g., book rentals, tutoring sessions), we may authorize anticipated charges and taxes from your method of payment. The amount of the authorization sought will depend on the transaction and may also vary depending on the nature of the payment method you have provided. This is sometimes referred to as an authorization hold and these funds may not be available for your use.
If the fees incurred exceed the authorization hold (e.g., because of an auto-extension or unreturned, lost, stolen, or damaged book), we may automatically request additional authorization holds. If the provider for your method of payment rejects any authorization, you agree that we may charge any other method of payment we have on file for you (without notice to you, unless required by applicable law). At the conclusion or termination of an ongoing transaction (e.g., return of a rented book), if the charges do not exceed the amount due, the authorization for the amount not utilized will be released per the rules of your payment method provider.
The timeframe for an authorization hold to be removed will depend on the policies of your financial institution. You are responsible and liable for ensuring that enough funds are available in connection with the payment method used at the time any transaction is processed.
Other Policies: Where your billing address is requested, you must provide the address and phone number your financial institution has on record, as well as the card’s security code (e.g., CVC, CVV, CID). We will make reasonable efforts to process your transactions in a timely manner, but we make no guarantees regarding the processing time for charges. We may store your method of payment and you hereby acknowledge and agree that we may charge you for, and you will pay for, any charges specified on the Services and for any auto-extension or unreturned, lost, stolen, or damaged books associated with your account under the terms of your book rental and in accordance with the General Policies. For any books or other materials kept beyond the applicable rental term, you agree to be charged the applicable late fees as set out in our General Policies. For any books or other rental materials that are never returned (an item is deemed “never returned” if it has not been returned in the period posted in our General Policies) or that are returned damaged, you agree to be charged for the value of the item(s) as set out in our General Policies. We reserve the right to place you into collections if you fail to timely pay for the products and services ordered through the Services; collections may be done by Original Peruse Limited or a third-party on our behalf. You also agree that we may, at our discretion, send your account to a collection agency, and recover our reasonable costs of collection from you, if you fail to pay all fees due and owing to us. For security reasons or to otherwise confirm a financial instrument or payment, we may delay mailings of books or otherwise delay providing payments or services even if such delay impacts a guaranteed delivery date.
We may also make online tutoring services available through our Website. The following sections that include “Tutors” or “Tutoring” in the heading relate specifically and only to Tutoring Services. You understand and agree that we act only as an interface to facilitate communications between users and Tutors and to collect payment from users on behalf of Tutors. All sessions will be hosted on a third party learning management system such as Google Classroom (though the platform can change due to management decisions) and may be recorded for business evaluation purposes.
Interaction with Tutors and Use of Lesson Services
Original Peruse Limited acts as a technology service that facilitates provision of Lesson Services between users and Tutors. The following are Prohibited conduct by both tutee and tutor, but is not limited to*:
- Assaulting, harassing, intimidating, or threatening another individual or group
- Endangering the health or safety of others
- Disrupting tutoring sessions;
- Using services without authorization
- Making false accusations against any member of the Original Peruse Limited team.
- Supplying false information to us or forging, altering or misusing any document or record
- Encouraging, aiding, or conspiring in any prohibited conduct
*Remember, Jamaican Laws apply on this website.
- Written warning or reprimand
- Restriction or prohibition of access to, or use of, our website an, services
Your use of the Services may involve the exchange of file attachments between you and a Tutor. We are not responsible or liable for the content of such attachments, and such attachments may be viewed by other www.perusebooks.com users, or by the public generally. You acknowledge sole responsibility for and assume the risk arising from your downloading any such attachments and posting such attachments.
We hold the right to change our prices without notice for textbooks in our inventory and other services.
Discount Codes, Bonuses, Coupons, Loyalty Programs, Points Programs & Other Promotions
From time to time, we may offer discounts, bonuses, coupons, loyalty programs, points programs, sweepstakes, contests or other promotional incentives. These incentives typically have their own specific rules, restrictions and limitations (e.g., limiting when, how often, and under what circumstances you may be eligible for the promotion). You are responsible for carefully reviewing and complying with these applicable rules, restrictions and limitations. You agree not to engage in any self-dealing, collusion, smurfing (defined as breaking large orders or sales transactions into multiple individual transactions for the purpose of obtaining multiple discounts or payments), or otherwise gaming or defrauding the system. By participating in such promotions, you agree to be bound by the applicable rules and restrictions, and that Original Peruse Limited, in its sole discretion, may deny payment or benefits to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law (e.g., when it believes improper activity has occurred or when a code has expired). All promotions may expire at any time without notice to recipients. Discounts apply only toward the actual base product/service rental or purchase cost; they do not apply to taxes, shipping, extension or late fees, or any other additional fees (e.g., conversion to purchase fees).
The service, is provided “as is,” without warranty of any kind. without limiting the foregoing, we expressly disclaim all warranties, whether express, implied or statutory, regarding the service including without limitation any warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, security, accuracy and non-infringement. without limiting the foregoing, we make no warranty or representation that access to or operation of the service will be uninterrupted or error free. you assume full responsibility and risk of loss resulting from your downloading and/or use of files, information, content or other material obtained from the service. some jurisdictions limit or do not permit disclaimers of warranty, so this provision may not apply to you.
Limitation of Damages;
release to the extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall the site, the service, its affiliates, directors, or employees, or its licensors or partners, be liable to you for any loss of profits, use, or data, or for any incidental, indirect, special, consequential or exemplary damages, however arising, that result from: (a) the use, disclosure, or display of your user content; (b) your use or inability to use the service; (c) the service generally or the software or systems that make the service available; or (d) any other interactions with use or with any other user of the service, whether based on warranty, contract, tort (including negligence) or any other legal theory, and whether or not we have been informed of the possibility of such damage, and even if a remedy set forth herein is found to have failed of its essential purpose. some jurisdictions limit or do not permit disclaimers of liability, so this provision may not apply to you.
If you have a dispute with one or more users, a merchant of a product or service that you review using the Service, you release us (and our officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.
You agree that any cause of action related to or arising out of your relationship with the Company must commence within ONE year after the cause of action accrues. Otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the website, please write to us at https://www.perusebooks.com/contactus/ or at our office located at PO Box 20, Gregory Park P.O, St. Catherine. All notices, authorizations, and requests to Original Peruse Limited shall be deemed given on receipt.